Monday, January 18, 2010

McCarthy ready to quit Rovers as World Cup looms

South Africa star Benni McCarthy is ready to leave Blackburn Rovers during the January transfer window to boost his chances of representing his country on home soil at the 2010 World Cup finals.

South Africa star Benni McCarthy is ready to leave Blackburn Rovers during the January transfer window to boost his chances of representing his country on home soil at the 2010 World Cup finals.

The 32-year-old forward, who joined the English Premier League side from Portuguese club Porto for 2.5 million pounds in July 2006, feels he is becoming a peripheral figure at Ewood Park under manager Sam Allardyce.

"I'd like to stay in England. This is a great league," McCarthy told Thursday's Lancashire Telegraph.

"I'm just unhappy with my situation and need to feel wanted again. I'm not getting any younger but I know I can still make an impact.

"This is a very big year for me. To come from South Africa and have the chance to play for my country in the World Cup is massive.

"I can't risk that by playing the odd game here and there for Blackburn. I need to play and I hope they will allow me to fulfil that dream.

"They got me for next to nothing and they've had a good return with more than 50 goals in about 130 games.

"Hopefully they won't ask an unreasonable fee and let me go when the window opens," McCarthy added.

 
 privacy policy